What circumstances require a zoning permit?
A permit is required if you intend to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, or change the occupancy of a residential building or structure, or portion thereof or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, plumbing system, other residential building service equipment, or piping system.

Some examples include: any new structures including, but not limited to residences, commercial structures, swimming pools over 24" deep, accessory buildings, walls and fences over 3 feet high, and building additions.

Additionally, any chance of occupancy in a commercial structure requires a zoning use certificate even if no construction is required.

Show All Answers

1. Does a contractor need to be registered with the City of Fairlawn?
2. Why do I need a building permit?
3. What residential construction requires a building permit?
4. What circumstances require a zoning permit?
5. What is the neighborhood inspection program?
6. Which department does commercial building permits and inspections?
7. What type of signs are permitted in the City of Fairlawn?
8. What is the zoning of a property?