Experts say someone may be trying to con you if you:
- ARE WARNED to keep the transaction a secret.
- MUST DECIDE in a hurry. Scam artists know the less time you have, the less likely you will be able to research them.
- MUST PAY in advance to get loans or credit cards (it is illegal to charge advance fees)
- MUST PAY in advance to get a prize or sweepstakes (companies can't charge up front for winnings).
- ARE ASKED to reveal bank account or Social Security numbers.
- ARE ASKED to pay with cash or by money order.
- ARE CONTACTED through an unsolicited fax or e-mail.
- ARE "GUARANTEED" high returns that are "no risk".
- ARE ASKED to invest in ventures that are involved in delayed delivery contracts, federal oil and gas lease lotteries, federal broadcast license lotteries.
- ARE ASKED to deposit a check from a foreign bank in your account and forward part of the money to the sender.